As a business owner, and entrepreneur, two of the biggest barriers holding you back from complete success in your coaching business are mindset and attitude. Yes I know that this is ironic as most coaches are teaching and coaching others all about mindset and challenging the assumptions of their attitudes, but don’t forget that you can’t use your superpower on yourself. Not only that but mindset and attitude driven challenges hide in all kinds of sneaky places in your business, so it’s important to recognise them as soon as possible!
Having a positive mindset starts the moment you wake up . If you are not leaping out of bed, ready to get working on your dream, then something is a miss. It may seem cliche and you may wonder who actually feels that way, but ask any of the coaches and business owners who are living their dreams and running successful and lucrative coaching businesses and they will tell you they are always happy to get out of bed!
The course of your business depends solely on you. While that may seem like a heavy burden, how you approach each day will significantly impact your productivity. Starting off on the right note will make a huge difference.
Which would you rather experience: Waking up feeling confident about what needs to get done and attacking your to do list with positive energy or giving in to your feelings of dread and disgust that eventually lead to diminished confidence and wanting to quit? I’m hoping you choose the feeling confident option.
Research Shows Positivity Impacts Productivity
Barbara Fredrickson is a positive psychology researcher at the University of North Carolina. Some of her most-referenced research proves that positive thoughts and reinforcement helps improve work outlook and productivity.
Her study consisted of 5 groups of people; 2 groups were shown video clips that were joyful and produced positive feelings; 2 groups were shown video clips that evoked negative emotions; and 1 group was the control group who were not shown any video clips at all.
Each person was then asked to answer a series of questions. The groups who viewed the positive videos were more likely to see solutions to problems than those who viewed the negative videos. In short, the positive group saw more possibilities with their lives. They broadened their minds with positivity and creative thinking rather than narrowing their focus to just the negativity.
Positive Ways to Start Your Morning and enhance your mindset and attitude
If you want to embrace this positive way of thinking, you first need to analyze your current morning routine and if it offers any benefits. Are you hitting the snooze alarm 4 times before racing through your shower to get out the door?
In her book; the 5 second rule, Mel Robbins talks about the impact of hitting the snooze button and how it’s one of the worse things you can do. Mel explains that your body and mind go through phases as you sleep. As it gets closer to awake time, your body is preparing for that. When you hit the snooze button and go back to sleep, you are essentially telling your body that it’s bed time and so the cycle starts from the beginning again. This is why you feel so groggy when you finally get up!
How do you feel as you’re speeding your way to the office? Even if you work at home, if you’re oversleeping or feeling frenetic before a client call, how does that set up the rest of your day?
Every person will have a different, meaningful way to start their morning, but the key is to discover what makes you feel calm, joyful, relaxed, and positive about beginning a brand new day.
- Do you need 15 minutes of quiet to enjoy your coffee or do you need a robust, quick-paced work out?
- Does meditation or yoga help you feel grounded and ready for the day?
- Do you need spiritual reassurance, such as from the Bible or other spiritual book?
- Do you prefer reading your favorite mystery novel while you eat breakfast?
- Have you tried journaling about your goals and/or feelings about your work?
- Do you have a written plan of action each day so you know exactly what you have to accomplish?
No matter how you choose to start your day, be consistent, even during stressful times and on the weekends. When tiny habits are done consistently, they become a part of your everyday routine and you won’t have to think about them again. Embrace positivity: Take notes about any changes you make to your morning routine and how it affects your mood and productivity throughout the day.
We are all human
Having a positive mindset and a great attitude towards all things is hard to maintain and coaches especially, who are getting other people’s mindsets and attitudes dumped on them day in and day out, need to take extra care to not get caught up in the negativity, as it will have an effect on how you run your business.
It’s ok to acknowledge that maybe your mindset is not where you want it to be or that your last client has left you feeling like a large glass of wine is in order. Coaches can be seen as a sounding board or even bordering on counsellors. It’s imperative that you create boundaries and rituals that keep you grounded and away from absorbing the troubles of others. Again, recognizing that the negativity is creeping in and ensuring you have a backup plan in place for when this happened is key to maintaining your positive mindset. Did you know there is such a thing as automatic negative thinking?
Here are a few more ways to combat those pesky negative thoughts after a tough day:
- Dance it out – if you are a Greys Anatomy fan, you’ll already know this technique https://youtu.be/uo9JuBy8vZI
- Get creative! A study published in the Journal of the American Art Therapy Association showed that just 45 minutes of art-making reduced cortisol levels in study participants, so let the art creations begin. You’ll be surprised at how fast you feel relaxed.
- Spend time with your favourite furry friends! Cuddling up with your pets helps to boost the feelings of love and happiness. It will help banish those negative nasties!
- Love to sing? Combine it with some great tunes and a long drive through some beautiful countryside and you’ll soon be feeling great, especially if you planned to end up somewhere special, like the beach or a favourite cake shop!
- Take a break from the tech! If you truly want to escape for a while from the roller coaster entrepreneurial ride; take a break from tech for a couple of hours and go off grid.
- Get in your me time! Books, bubble baths, meditation, journaling, practicing gratitude, whatever it is that makes you feel like you are focusing on yourself, take the time to slot it in every day.
Remember how awesome you are!
You are a coach and an entrepreneur, two very demanding and emotionally draining roles that require a positive mindset and attitude. Living the dream comes when you can manage both of those roles and feel energized by them. That takes practice, commitment and the ability to stay the course. It’s not easy, if it was everyone would do it, so take time to recognize that you are doing what many others can’t or won’t. That makes you super awesome, even if you do feel like you are barely holding it together sometimes!